Getting to the Byway: Directions
Given its central location in the mid-Atlantic Region, the Religious Freedom National Scenic Byway is within driving distance of several cities, including Washington, D.C., Baltimore, MD Annapolis, MD and Richmond, VA.
- From Richmond, VA and points south:
From Virginia, cross over the Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge on Crain Highway/Blue Star Memorial Highway/US 301 to reach southern Charles County. Once over the bridge, there are several options for access the Byway:
- follow US 301 approximately 1.5 miles and turn right onto Rock Point Road south to Cobb Island
- follow US 301 approximately 1.5 miles and turn left onto Edge Hill Road, which takes visitors north toward Port Tobacco via Popes Creek and Chapel Point State Park
- continue north on US 301 to Budds Creek/MD 234 to continue south toward Allens Fresh and into St. Mary's County
- From Washington, D.C., and points northwest:
Take the Capital Beltway (Interstate 95/495) to Indian Head Highway/MD 210. Follow MD 210 for approximately 19 miles to Hawthorne Road, visitors can:
- turn right on Chicamuxen Road/MD 224 to tour the Nanjemoy Loop or
- continue on Hawthorne Road toward Rose Hill Road and the Thomas Stone National Historic Site
Follow interstate 97 south to US 301. From US 301, visitors can head west on Hawthorne Road to the Mount Carmel Branch and then continue on Hawthorne to the Thomas Stone National Historic Site and the Nanjemoy Loop or take US 301 further and connect to the Byway via the following options:
Port Tobacco Road/MD Route 6
Budds Creek Road/ MD 234 to St. Mary's County
Rock Point Road to Cobb Island
From Hallowing Point Road/MD 231, take the Patuxent River Bridge into Charles County. Hallowing Point Road becomes Prince Frederick Road. Visitors can follow MD 231 to Trinity Church Road/MD 232 and onto Budds Creek Road/MD 234. Alternatively, from MD 231, visitors can take MD 5 south to Charlotte Hall, where they can stop at the visitors center before continuing on the Byway on MD 236.
If coming from futher south in Calvert County, take Louis L. Goldstein/MD 4 across the Thomas Johnson Memorial Bridge. In St. Mary's County MD 4 becomes Patuxent Beach Road. MD 4 continues all the way to the Byway, connecting to Point Lookout Road/MD 5 just south of Leonardtown.